A collection of ideas and works by a cosplay beginner.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Blog Eleven: more costume... Bear Tribe!!!

Okay, more posts, as promised.

Just recently I have taken up LARPing. I've been having the time of my life and can't recommend the experience enough. My first start was Chimera, Auckland's annual LARP convention. The first game I played I actually hired out the costume for, one, because I had a voucher for free costume hire, and two, because it was pre-French Revolution styles, and I soooo did not have the time, money or skill to sew a gown for a pre-French Revolution courtesan...

So this is my costume for Iya, midwife and cook of the Oso (Bear) Tribe, a tribe of Aztecs who, many years ago, were visited by a lone Viking warrior who took over and changed them forever. Yep, totally made up, but kinda cool when you think about the fact that the Vikings may have found America first!




So I sewed the brown dress, won't get into that though because it was just a boring, generic shape so I can re-use it for all sorts of costumes. I then tied that printed fabric around that, and then belted it. Obviously though, the most interesting part was the hood/shawl!!

Materials: brown fur, coloured beads, earthy pendants, and FEATHERS!

The hood, obviously, was a little too big, but still, I was quite happy with this, and since we were the Bear tribe, I had to have ears!! The beads I just sewed straight on, but the feathers I hot-glued and sewed on because I was pretty scared they'd come off (and in the end, only one feather came off!!)

In the end, pretty proud of how this costume came out. And we ALL looked awesome!! Go Oso Tribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment